Sunday, April 20, 2008

Viva Las "Bad Parents"?!?

WARNING: The following is not a post for those that do not like to read about other people's annoyances. Proceed at your own risk.


Nick and I are leaving for a week in Vegas tomorrow, sans Amelia. It should be lovely and grand and a great opportunity for Nick and I to let loose, have fun, and enjoy one anothers company -- as adults.

However, I am astounded at the number of people who are completely shocked and dumbfounded that we would even consider, let alone actually go through with, a trip without Amelia. I truly don't see the problem in taking a vacation without Amelia, especially when it affords Nick and I the time to reconnect and oh I don't know, have some alone time. It is not like we have parents and family here in Boston that can take Amelia for a night or two...Nick and I have not had any non-parent time for nearly 14 months. Why is one week in Vegas such a terrible thing?

Perhaps I am just cranky and in desperate need of said vacation, but I don't think that taking that needed time with my husband and without my daughter is the worst thing in the world. What do you think?

Thanks for listening to my rant...I'm done now.

6 comments:

TAITx3 said...

I ain't judging. Enjoy your time together. Jason

TAITx3 said...

You know that if you guys need a date night, Jason and I will be more that happy to watch Amelia for you.
Have fun, and YOU ARE NOT BAD PARENTS!!! ~Kara

AnnD said...

Why is it such a bad thing?!

Well, I'll tell ya....IT'S. NOT.


People are projecting their own issues onto you guys; their own insecurities about being parents.

I worry about the children whose parents can't leave them for any length of time. It's THOSE children that develop school anxiety, can't separate from their parents when it is time to do the adolescent thing and can't leave home to go to college.

What kind of burden is that for a child to carry: "I can't leave or mommy/daddy will be so sad. So, I'll hold up my own personal development for their sake."

You guys are great parents!! ENJOY YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Adam and I are going on vacation in a couple of weeks... I am so excited ! Why? We are going with out the kids. All 4 are being left behind. My only regret is that I am not going for a week like you 2 are.

Hank and Mary said...

Nick and Shaina. It is good to go away for a time to reconnect. Hank and I couldn't do it untill our kids were a bit older, and we found a sucker to watch our 4 kids.(Neither of our parents watched our kids...long story). When we came back, I was refreshed and ready to be a mom again with a fresh love for my babies, and got a chance to know my husband again. Hank never minded having the kids along, because his freedom was the same, ya know, back in the day. :) Enjoy...you must be at this very minute

Bronwyn Green said...

You two are entitled to some alone time and it's necessary!

I hope you enjoyed your trip!