Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Plymouth county Rookie Teacher of the Year goes to...

Shaina Squires!!!

The award goes to an innovative rookie teacher (1-5 years experience) that has affected the most change in their school.

I'm so proud of Shaina! I had a hunch she was a good teacher, now it's official.

We went to the Plymouth county EA awards banquet last night. There were around 500 teachers/spouses from Plymouth county schools. Mostly, they were honoring teachers that had reached 30, 35 or 40 years of service. That's a long time. I was struck by how these teachers had aged. Some appeared to be at least eighty years old, others must have started teaching when they were 5. Go figure.

We sat at a table with teachers /administration from Brockton (City of Champions). When it came time for Shaina's award we cheered loudly and she got a standing ovation. I hope she savored the moment, she due for her next award in 28 years...

After the banquet we picked Amelia up from Nicole's house. Nicole's daughters had fun playing with her, but I guess Amelia was really quiet the whole time. When she saw us she started talking... and didn't stop talking the whole ride home and then well past her bedtime. She's funny.

-nick

7 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats Shaina! Nice work..... I din't know you guys had a blog.

ttfn,

Caleb

SRT and LST said...

Good work Shaina. You teach like its your job.

TAITx3 said...

Good job, Shaina. A Michigan education pays off, once again. Jason T.

AnnD said...

What an amazing honor! You must be on cloud nine!!! I can't imagine being honored that early on in my career!

Carol and Dan said...

Way to go!!!....c.

Bronwyn Green said...

Mega Congrats Babe!!!! I'm so proud of you, but please note...I'm not the least little bit surprised. Why? Because you rock!!!

Anonymous said...

lmao...ik im yur student...but ur an awesome teacher...i really learned from yur class....thnx!!!-laine raymond