Monday, January 19, 2009

Birth Story

As many of you know, Caelan Dean made his grand entrance into this world on Friday January 16th at 3:16pm! He is doing fantastic and we are so blessed to have such a precious addition to our family!!

So anyways, for those that are interested, here is the story of how it all happened!

Thursday 1/15:

Spent the day much the same as any other day. Wondering when he would finally come and agonizing over the delay in "action." They only difference was that for once I seriously had NOTHING on Thursday. No contractions, no pains, nada!

That night I went to bed and can only say that I just felt "off". I was slightly nauseous and just didn't quite feel right.

At 12:30am I woke up and had to go to the bathroom. When I walked to the bathroom there was a "trickle" down my leg. I definitely thought it was weird but went back to bed. I figured, if it was my water leaking then I would start contracting. But after an hour of nothing, I fell asleep again.

At 3:30am I woke up again to go to the bathroom. I had a weird cramp in my side when I got up and this time there were 3-4 "trickles" as I walked to the bathroom. I turned on the light and there was some blood mixed in...that was when I knew it was the real deal.

Nick and I arrived at the hospital at 4:00am because I was Strep B positive and needed to be put on antibiotics. So they hooked me up to the IV and the wait began. Five hours passed of absolutely nothing. I had minor contractions about every half hour and literally felt completely fine. That is when they decided to start the pitocyn.

They started the IV at 9:00am and told me I should start feeling more steady contractions in about an hour. Well an hour and a half passed and nothing was happening. So they up'ed my dose.

At 11:00am the nurse came by and said that if I was ready, the Dr. doing the epidurals was going to be on the floor and I could get mine at that time. So, at 11:30am the Dr. came in to do my epidural and just as he was about to start my water broke and I went from no labor to active labor in a minute. My contractions were strong and about 2 minutes apart.

From there, things went very fast...and I mean very fast. I was fully dilated by 2:30pm and pushing by 2:45pm. Then at 3:16pm Caelan Dean made his grand entrance!!

He weighed in at 8lbs 10oz and 21.5 inches long! And is doing really really well!!

Check out our site for pics!

http://picasaweb.google.com/nicksquires

3 comments:

Hank and Mary said...

Wonderful pictures. He is so handsome. Again, congrats to your little family.

The Jaymac Clan said...

Congrats! we are so happy and excited for you!

AnnD said...

I'm just glad you got out of your massively long wait like you had with Amelia! Just think...you could STILL BE PREGNANT RIGHT NOW!!! AHHHHH!

I can't wait to watch him grow up!